Sunday, September 22, 2013

Of Ram Leela and DevD...


The trailer of Ram Leela is out. I have mixed feelings about it. I love the colors, Gujarati vibes, the visuals, the cinematography, and the Holi scene - classic Bhansali. I did not like Dabangg type dialogues and too much focus on the Ranveer's bronzed body. Bhansali's strength has been subtlety in emotions combined by the opulence of the background. Here, the trailer looks a bit over the top. But what do I know? I had loved Saawariya, which was universally panned. So my opinion does not count anyways. And this is only a trailer. We do not know how the movie will turn out. But I am very very excited. I have to watch this on the big screen somehow.

At one point in the trailer, Deepika says "tere to baal hi nahi hai?" 


Tere to baal hi nahi hai?

I was very sure I have heard this dialogue earlier too. Then, I realized where I had heard it - DevD. In that outrageous scene in the field when Paro had called Dev for a romantic liaison, she takes off his shirt and says, "tere bade baal hai."  For a moment, I thought Bhansali was alluding towards Anurag Kashyap, after all Anurag had used many references to Bhansali's Devdas in DevD. Maybe. But it is my interpretation. We like films because we understand them and can interpret them as we like, right?  


Tere bade baal hai..


DevD references Bhansali's Devdas - Dev and Dev's poster


Chanda watching Chandramukhi's dance

While researching for this topic, I found this as well. Chanda reading Alberto Moravia's Contempt. I need to watch DevD again to understand it better. It has been more than five years since it released and I think I would appreciate it more. I will do another review of it.


Contempt

Meanwhile, Ghanchakkar has, finally, been released on Netflix. I was waiting for it since long. Will watch it soon. If only, I get some breathing space. There is just no time. Have to write about so so many things. 

More later.

Dialogue of the Day:
"Soch se nahi, dil se sangeet banana." 
 - Zafar's Dad, Fukrey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment