Sunday, June 19, 2011

Of Chutki from Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge..

Hmm.. so I had written one post yesterday but took it off as I felt it was probably too personal. So I am writing another post that I have been postponing for a really really long time (there are still many left especially Mukteshwar trip).

The last time I had written about Deepa from Dil Chahta Hai..never did I imagine that there are so many people who love her. Every 2-3 days someone or the other gets directed to that post here when they search for Deepa. This is the best thing about blogging, you can connect with complete strangers just by their thinking and it gives immense pleasure that yes, someone there is probably thinking like you :) I think we all who love Deepa should do something more for her..don't know what..maybe ask Farhan about where did she go :-(

Hmmm..continuing my love for secondary characters in films, I always think Chutki of Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge is another strong character. She comes across as someone who is much more intelligent than Simran, more practical than her, more forthcoming about her choices in life..and I don't think she would ever agree to compromise on something as important as her marriage. I think she would have fought with her father had she been in Simran's place. Simran was more docile and seems resigned to her fate..it wasn't her fault though..maybe she being the elder one brought up in a conservative family made her like this and you know that second children always get more because howsoever they may grow in age, they will always be 'chhote' in front of everybody. But I think Chutki was much more feisty than Simran. look at the way she scolds her probable brother-in-law Kuljeet that she likes being called Chutki only by a few close friends and that he should stop treating her like a kid. As her mother used to say, she tried to behave older than her age. And her Miss Lucy sayings are actually a lesson for us. Like she said

" आदतों को अगर सही समय पर न बदला जाये तो वो ज़रूरतें बन जाती हैं" when she makes fun of her mother calling her dad everyday "तुस्सी पहुँच गए जी" :)

or the scene where she says "बचपन जवानी कुछ नहीं होता, आदमी की age उतनी ही होती है जितनी वो feel करता है" :-)

And another one when her dad comes home angry after the beer incident, she advises Simran "बहती नव में हाथ नहीं डालना चाहिए, डूबने का खतरा रहता है"

Her quality to say things on the face and not being diplomatic reflects clearly when she sees Kuljeet for the first time. If she had been a subdued and mellow person, she would have kept her dislike for Kuljeet to herself and tried to placate Simran but she clearly shows this (the scene when Kuljeet comes back from शिकार.. ( I cannot control my laughter when Preeti says जी भैया शिकार पे गए है :P)

Another instance where she refuses to be quiet is when she tells Simran that even Raj hadn't eaten the whole day on करवा चौथ. Sorry Raj, मैं अब और चुप नहीं रह सकती

However, my personal favorite scene (and one of the movie's scenes that I absolutely love) is when she finds out that Raj is the same guy whom Simran had met in Europe..she says to Simran "दीदी, मुझे न यह Kuljeet  अच्छा नहीं लगता, लेकिन यह छत वाला बहुत पसंद है, तुम ना इसी से शादी करना" 
I love this scene :) Saying things on the face without being diplomatic!

This is what I came across when I tried to search about here

"Interestingly enough, while the film is all about Raj's love for Simran, Simran is rather spineless. Very much like Raj, she can get her will if she really puts her mind to it. Only she has been raised the conservative way and has only so much gut or isn't raised to be confident about her decisions. Her respect for the older generation is natural yet it comes across as obligatory. Writer-director Aditya Chopra has his way of making the film about his lady protagonist but not really about her. Mamma-darling, Lajjo (Fareeda Jalal), is strong yet unsure. But her fear of respect for her husband precedes everything else in her priorities or the priorities as she sees for her daughters. Remarkably enough, Chutki (Pooja Ruparel) is nothing like her mother or sister. I can see her getting away with more than what Simran was ever allowed."
There are so many other characters that are more strong than the protagonist. One of my other personal favorites is Sandhya Mridul in Saathiya. She plays Dina, Suhani's (Rani Mukherjee) sister. What a charming scene is that one in which she asks Aditya (Vivek Oberoi) to whistle at Suhani :D कैसे आशिक हो तुम and he makes noise from his bike ;-) prompting Suhani to say "दी, तू आती हो या मैं आउन नीचे" :-) Sandhya Mridul is a terrific actress, acted very well in the film

Since we are talking about DDLJ, I think I found a goof-up in the movie ( I may be wrong). You see in the end the picture that Simran's dad sees when he finds out about Raj's truth is the one in which Raj is shown trying to give a rose to Simran.. is that scene when instead of giving the rose, he puts a stream of water in her face..now if you clearly see that scene at the beginning of the film there was no camera in any body's hands..neither did Raj's friends had any camera (they were clearly standing behind him) nor did Simran's friend had any camera (as they were also standing behind). So how did this picture come? From some stranger ;-) But I think itna to chalta hai :)

Anyway, will write more if I remember about other lovable characters (there sure are many)..till then Ta Ta :)

P.S. - I also love that scene of Chtuki and Simran dancing to the song and as soon as the bell rings the song gets changed to K.L Sehgal's कितना नाज़ुक है दिल and they turn into Miss Goody two shoes..here..so true! If I start talking about DDLJ's scene, this would never end. More later :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Pankaj , people do not give importance to people who play second fiddle. I just love Sandhya Mridul's character in Saathiya, probably more than that of Rani Mukherjee's,strong, giving, compassionate and ready to take on the responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post...besides all the above characters of Chutki, I also like her innocent face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A post with a lot of depth. It goes to show that most of the people are so engrossed in (and appreciative of) watching the characters which are in the limelight, that they forget the importance of the secondary characters who are as integral to the story as the main characters.

    PS: I also totally love chutki's character in DDLJ (my most beloved movie till date), and all the scenes and dialogues you mentioned in the post are among my favourite too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the character of MILI (Amrita Prakash) in the movie TUM BIN. The movie itself is splendid.

    And u can catch up with Deepa on FB.In case u dint find out..her real name is "Samantha Tremayne" :)She also worked in SAATHIYA as Meera. :)

    Good work..keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment